» Side arm - what is a suitable first model
7/5/2014, 1:01 pm by Ryu_Soma

Share | 

Questions about Airsoft.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Crazy Dragon Cross

PostSubject: Questions about Airsoft.   20/10/2010, 7:32 am

Hi, I have never played Airsoft before and I wish to start. But there's so many things to learn about and I have no idea where to start. Hopefully someone can give me some advice and answer the following questions.

1. I really am clueless about Airsoft. So far my understanding of it is, you shoot someone and if he is hit, he is out. Is that true? What other type of game play are there? Any good Airsoft websites that I can refer to? Just for a beginner.

2. I'm a fan of sniper rifles. But is it good to start with one? Or should I get an assault rifle to begin with?

3. What are the places in Auckland to play Airsoft? So far I've only seen one which is at TheArmory. Also I found a site in YouTube where people play in farmlands? Anyone knows where that is?

4. When starting Airsoft, what should my budget be? To get guns and gears. How much did you guys spent the first time when you begin?

Hopefully someone can give me some advice.

Thanks,
Kevin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wraith

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Airsoft.   20/10/2010, 11:57 am

Rightey, I'll answer these in order, the best I can.

1. That's the rule for dying. Its pretty much universal across all game types. We vary our games by varying respawn rules and objectives for each team. Anything from basic Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag right up to large Military Simulations with mutiple teams and multiple objectives.

2. In short, no. Sniper rifles in airsoft have little advantage over other rifles unless you are prepared to spend a decent amount on it, and play the role properly. You are outgunned all the time, and most of the time you're range advantage is not really that much. It is definitely a good idea to start with an assault rifle, as it allows you to see what standard firefights involve. If you do wish to start sniping later on, find someone who plays as a dedicated sniper and ask them about it (like myself for instance).

3. The Armory is the only indoor place. If you join the ASA forums and become an ASA member, they have a multitude of outdoor fields. We also have our own ASGC field in Paremoremo, I do believe the details are on the forum here in the events section. The videos oyu have seen have most likely been ASA games played at the Helensville fields.

4. Depends on what level of gear you are looking at. Utterly basic set up with basic but decent rifle, one set of camo, boots, gloves, a simple vest and some headwear and eyewear, I'd set aside 1000 dollars or so. Might want to be lenient and go for 1.5k. But dont worry, this can be over time. As ABSOLUTE BASICS (gun, eyewear and boots) you'd be looking at say, 300 for the gun (not really upgradable but will work fine as is), 100 for boots (go to Kiwi Disposals, get some 2nd hand british patrol boots) and 20-30 bucks for eyewear. Full set of camo, depending on where you get it from, anywhere between like 50 and a few hundred dollars. Vests are the same, they range from cheap as chips to hundreds of dollars. My current set up is about 2k worth of gear, give or take depending on rifle used and amount of "extra" gear I take.

Come into the store and we'll help you out, this stuff is always easier to sort out in person.

Hope this helped

Hamish
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crazy Dragon Cross

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Airsoft.   20/10/2010, 2:51 pm

Hi Hamish,

Thanks for your reply. Yup it definitely helped. I guess I can't really start so soon as I might have to save a bit more. I'll drop by the store after my exams finish in around 3 weeks time. Thanks again for replying me.

Kevin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wraith

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Airsoft.   21/10/2010, 10:28 am

You're best bet is to just drop in and see whats about. More often than not, there will be something semi-decent that you can afford to start with, and people tend to be happy to lend out gear. Camo isnt a must for your first game, just come along to one of our open games and have a play. Rentals are available as well as eyewear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pelovski

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Airsoft.   26/10/2010, 1:57 pm

Have you actually played a game before? It is a lot of money to put into something that you might not even like, so play a few games first. You can hire equipment for the ASGC games, or at the Armory as well. Or if you have a friend who has gear just tag along for a game and see whats what. Make sure you like it before you put serious money into it.

If you do think you like it, but still need money, spend $200 on a gas pistol and get into some small games. If you use it right and move fast, pistols can be a pretty good alternative to a big heavy assualt rifle. And if you do keep playing, its not a waste of money because then you have a sidearm as well.

You might have played a game or two of paintball before, but airsoft is radically different.

At the end of the day, even if you stop playing or get sick of it, you will still have a totally wicked replica firearm that you can hold and talk to when nobody else is looking. You all do it too, right? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fleiger

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Airsoft.   2/11/2010, 9:08 am

Pelovski wrote:
At the end of the day, even if you stop playing or get sick of it, you will still have a totally wicked replica firearm that you can hold and talk to when nobody else is looking. You all do it too, right? Very Happy

hmmm? kinda thing the quacks would love to hear about LOL Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pelovski

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Airsoft.   2/11/2010, 9:24 am

Fleiger wrote:
hmmm? kinda thing the quacks would love to hear about LOL Very Happy

Lol. You all do it too. I just got a 3-point for my Scar-H, so so hard to not spend all day walking around with it. Stupid neighbours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fleiger

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Airsoft.   2/11/2010, 9:40 am

i can't say much though, there isn't a day were my 1911 doesn't come out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pelovski

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Airsoft.   2/11/2010, 12:02 pm

Yes!! My mate just got one. Coolest pistol ever. He loves it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J0N0

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Airsoft.   28/4/2013, 12:42 pm

Pelovski wrote "
At the end of the day, even if you stop playing or get sick of it, you will still have a totally wicked replica firearm that you can hold and talk to when nobody else is looking. You all do it too, right? Very Happy [/quote]

Dats really funny man lol! , might be me as im starting into airsoft so duno if itll stick or not

ive played one night at the armory,and lookn at the various guns they are coooool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nikolai-9756

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Airsoft.   27/8/2013, 1:13 pm

Although I have numerous Airsoft Guns I have never been in a competition. I guess you need to pick a battleground then buy a gun based on the allowed FPS. I have about 8 or so guns now but only three of them are weak enough to be used at the Armoury (two M1911s and a Luger). If you just want to buy a gun to shoot around your backyard, I would recommend starting with a WE M1911 or an ICS SIG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Airsoft.   

Back to top Go down

Questions about Airsoft.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1