» Side arm - what is a suitable first model
7/5/2014, 1:01 pm by Ryu_Soma

Share | 

Help choosing an assault rifle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cipher

PostSubject: Help choosing an assault rifle   7/11/2010, 11:45 am

I have been playing airsoft for about a month. 3 indoor games at the armory and 1 outdoors with ASGC.

There are so many options please help me decide what's the best use of my money for a first gun.

I want a SEG and like the blow back action for realism.

I can afford one gun for both indoors and outdoors. I tend to stay back and snipe more than full on assault. I want a gun that is very accurate and can have a scope fitted later on.

I like the classic M4A1 look and feel with scope, forward grip and silencer/ extended barrel.

I also like the look of the SIG 551 and EGM Q5

What would you recommend? I know it's a personal choice but like to understand the technical pros and cons first.

Cheers
Cipher
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phantom

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing an assault rifle   7/11/2010, 2:57 pm

a blowback SEG is a misnomer as you will not get the same realism as what you would get out of a Gas Blow Back Rifle ... the "blowback" SEG system breaks after a few hundred or thousand rounds (it prolly dont seem like it but with the cost of BBs, 5000rds is nothing) ... plus the blowback system is only there for show, it will not give you any kick as such (its just a thin alum plate that moves back & forth and is attached to the piston) and it will just annoy the hell out of you after a while (overseas players disable the blowback system) ...

if you want to be as realistic as possible, get a GBBr first time out but we do not recommend getting a GBBr if it will be your first or second gun but you can possibly get one as your third gun as you can always fall back on your SEGs if the GBBr runs out of gas or breaks down (see my collection in this GUN DISPLAY THREAD as I have 2x FN SCARS, one is a SEG and the other is a GBBr) ...

if you want a dual-purpose SEG that you can use indoors-outdoors and is a M4-style/length, always go for the ICS range as it has the quick-detach upper mechbox which means if you want to go from outdoors (450fps limit) to indoors (350fps limit) you can simply do one of 2x things in 10mins or less:

- you simply break open the gun, pull out your "outdoor" upper mech and reinsert your extra "indoor" upper mech ... OR ...

- you break open your gun, pull out your upper mech then disassemble it to replace the higher FPS spring with a lower FPS spring then reinsert the upper mech ...

the other option is you can get the ICS L85 series (standard length or the Carbine length) which is not as quick to change the spring out as the ICS M16/M4 series but its as easy due to the mechbox having a twist-off spring guide design compared to a traditional mechbox that you have to fully open up just to replace the spring ...

this here is the difference between a split-mechbox and a normal mechbox ... which do you think is faster and easier to swap springs with:

ICS:

NORMAL:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
terence12

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing an assault rifle   8/11/2010, 5:18 pm

i would get a star/ares g36c/k/d whatever
the cool thing is they have the quick spring change thingee
all you would need is a new spring and done!
buy a red dot of whatever kind + a magnifier later and your sorted.
2 rolls in one..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pelovski

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing an assault rifle   9/11/2010, 2:13 pm

Me and my mates have all been getting into airsoft lately, and there is a heck of a lot to choose from. Phantom linked you to a gun thread but its in a members-only section of the forum, so you probably won't be able to view that if you aren't a member. I'll repost it here for you (these are Phantoms remember)

As somebody who has just gone through this process, there really is a ton of information to take into account. First there is your playstyle, then your preferred location, then preferred weight, then looks and camo and accessories and then (and this is the big one) your budget.

2 of my friends bought pretty standard M4's, and while they are the cheapest guns in the group the are also the most boring. They are starting to get sick of all having essentially the same gun. And while there is so so much that can be done to it, at the end of the day its still and M4.

After much deliberation, I bought the ARES Scar H. It was my favorite gun from what was available, was a good size, really awesome weight and had so much metal in it. But there is a list of problems that go with it. Mine was chosen more for looks than functionality, and while it is pretty accurate atm it still needs a lot to be done internally to become a proper weapon. It is also so heavy that before I got my sling my forearms would cramp after 3-4 hours of playing with it. But I love it, and as far as I'm considered it is the best looking and most realistic gun of my mates by a mile.

Its also the one that has had to be fixed the most. Oh, and at $800 it was the most expensive, costing more than twice the price of some of my friends guns.

Another friend bought the L86, and he really likes it. Its pretty reliable, looks great and is very functional. It means he has taken up a suppression role in games, which he enjoys, while the rest of us do all the running and jumping. But again, it was a bit more expensive than alternatives.

Another went for the cheap, buying the JG G3 SAS. It was actually a pretty decent buy and has been running really well since he got it. Could have gotten 3 for the price of my Scar. But he pays for it in other areas. It feels extremely fake, has no weight to it, isn't as accurate as ours, and just detracts from the whole realism of his game. He hardly uses it any more, instead using his VSR-10 and a Glock.

Me and a friend got the SRC H&K 416. It really is the best of the M4 style weapons. There is a lot different to it and it shows. It looks and feels much better than the other M4 variants, but is a bit pricier. But chuck a holographic on it and you are away with a really light, versatile weapon.

So. Just think everything through. For me the Scar H always seemed to stand out. Go into ASGC, have a look around and see if anything pops out at you. You should be getting a gun that makes you smile every time you look at it, not one that makes you regret not getting that other one. If you have a favourite gun from MW2, try that. If you watch Stargate, get a P90, MP5 or G36. Its all about getting the right balance with a ton of different factors. Good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ASGC

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing an assault rifle   9/11/2010, 3:37 pm

Ares gun has quick spring change feature but don’t recommend doing it if the gun is brand new, because Ares factory shimming job is not good, change spring without re-shim the gearbox will lead to increased gear wear or failure. You can come to ASGC, we have a large range of selection for different brands and our sales are experience Airsoft players, they will help you out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cipher

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing an assault rifle   10/11/2010, 2:28 am

Thanks guys this has been really helpfu
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vorno

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing an assault rifle   24/11/2010, 2:59 pm

Don't suppose you guys have advice for looking into the different P90 models available today?

The main things for me are a combination of price, performance and looks. It has to look great and not have that "cheap plastic" look with the "fold lines" where the plastic joins... I hate that!!! Razz

So far I know there is a KS and TM model. P90s seem rare though?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cipher

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing an assault rifle   25/11/2010, 11:47 am

Just to let you know what I decided to do. I liked the recommendation to buy the one you love to hold and caress, not something you'll settle for and maybe regret in a months time.

The SCAR takes m breath away but is outside of my budget. I ended up with the ICS SIG 551 and love the look, feel and weight of this rifle. I love the power out of the box 420FPS and the unwavering pinpoint accuracy.

Coupled with an ACOG red dot site it doesn't miss the mark.

Thank you for all of your comments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pelovski

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing an assault rifle   25/11/2010, 11:52 am

Very Happy

Glad to be of help. The Sigs are pretty sweet as well. Have fun with it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vorno

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing an assault rifle   25/11/2010, 1:53 pm

Its true, sigs are awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycanthrope

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing an assault rifle   9/1/2011, 3:09 pm

I'm not sure if you'd like it but just a suggestion.
I am saving up for the ICS Galil AR 92. - It's an Israeli AK Variant and it costs like $580.
It shoots at about 400 fps and comes with 1 or 2 (Not sure) High Cap 400 round mags. Judy has told me that the SRC Low Cap AK Mags x6 + Speed loader ($99) are also compatible with it.
I don't think you'd be able to put a scope on it but I don't really know that much about airsoft guns. It has a foldable full metal stock and most of the gun is metal except for the grip and one or two other things which I believe are made out of high quality Polymer.
This gun is really accurate and has decent power so you could hang back with it, and since you can fold the stock and it's pretty light, you can probably run around with it as well.
Next time you're at ASGC I'd highly recommend testing this gun. I've never really been a fan of Galils but after trying it I love it.
Also since it has the same top part (Not sure what to call it) as an AK, where you put in the battery it has plenty of space so you shouldn't have that many problems with batteries. I am probably going to use an 11.1v Li-Po stick or a Enrichpower 9.6v Stick.

My mate also just bought the SR4 TCC ($513) however I believe he got the last one in stock so I'm not sure when, or if they are getting any more in.

I hope this helped you with choosing your first airsoft gun Smile
And also I hope the reply wasn't too late as I just remembered that ASGC has forums!

Just realized that you've already made your choice and have already purchased it Razz I'll leave the post here so that if any other person looking for a first gun can consider the Galil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help choosing an assault rifle   

Back to top Go down

Help choosing an assault rifle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1